Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Preach on, Abe!

"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."
-Abraham Lincoln

I found this quote today on the back of my Argyle Sweater comic-a-day calendar.  
I needed to see this today.

This applies to SOO many things in my life.
For personal reasons and for creative reasons.
Personal reasons (hehe, every time I say or type that I think of Edward Cullen in Twilight. I'm so lame.):
-getting healthy
-working on and maintaining relationships
-keeping a better budget
etc, etc

Creative reasons (and the point of this post): learning to sew

I know these things aren't causes, but the idea is the same.
Don't be afraid of the struggle.
That's what I'm focusing on. 

I've had my sewing machine for a while.
Like three months maybe.
I've sewn ZERO things.
What the what?!?!
I've purchased some fabric and have these dreams of sewing quilts and clothing.
Yet, I've done nothing.
I'm scared I'm going to screw it up. 
So scared, that I haven't even tried.
Pretty pathetic. lol.
Then I saw this quote today and have been inspired.
What does it matter if I mess it up?
That's what seam rippers are for. :)

I've decided to make myself a lunch bag.
I take my lunch most days and usually 
use a re-usable grocery bag.
It's kind of too big and not at all cute.
I found this super cute tutorial at prudent baby.
I don't have a baby, obviously, but I love their site.
When I first read through the tutorial, I got scared again.
I just got to remember that if I never try, I'll never know.

So, what fabric to use? hmmm.
I thought about just using what I have 
at home just to practice.
Once I've made one and succeeded, I'll reward 
myself with some super cute fabric.
Here's what I'm thinking: (all fabric found at fabricworm.com)

This reminds me of some sheets my Nana used to have.





Butterflies and flowers. What's not to like?


I like the colors and the vintage look of this print.

Owls. Nuff said.

I love cherries. These are super cute. At the very least, I'll use this for my apron or something in my kitchen.

This print is so fun and happy.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
<3,
Marlie

5 comments:

  1. What a great quote! I need to hang that one up somewhere. Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the lunch bag, don't be too scared! (Now if it had a zipper, that's another story. Just kidding...kind of) I'm sure it will turn out great, thanks for visiting my blog! And as for the "reward fabric" I'd go with the owls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute fabrics! I am your newest follower from the blog hop! Hope you'll follow back! Memories in the Making

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marlie, What a cute bli (and name!)

    I found you via Design It Chic and I am happily following you. Would love it if you'd consider following me back.
    Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your newest follower from the Boost My Blog Friday Blog Hop. If you get a minute please drop by and follow back. Have a wonderful day!
    http://alittleoftheother.com

    ReplyDelete